Written by Ben Story, AmeriCorps Member
The shelter and support that Faith Family Hospitality provides for our families is just one way in which the Fort Collins community is helping to tackle the challenges faced by families experiencing homelessness.
The Matthews House HOST Program is a new initiative that also helps provide a temporary home for children, youth, and families who are in a crisis situation, through volunteer HOST families.
Since its inception in August 2013 the program has placed 37 individuals or families within 20 host homes. Hosting usually lasts for 2 – 4 months and of those who have moved on from the host program, over half have moved into stable and supportive living situations.
The potential for this program is only limited by the availability of Host families, and FFH would love to see some members of our faith communities become engaged in this dynamic approach to hospitable and relational support of families working toward self sufficiency.
The HOST Program includes:
- Training, support and screening for HOST families
- A strong commitment to reunite the family promptly and seek sustainable housing options
- Opportunity to host children and families of various ages
- Early Childhood (Birth-5)
- School Age (6-11)
- Teens and Young Teens (12-15)
- Transitioning Teens (16-20) including pregnant and parenting teens
- Families seeking emergency housing